Factory Rentzelstrasse

ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, WORKSHOP – FACTORY CONVERSION

Erected in 1911 as a “car factory”, this building was one of the first reinforced concrete skeleton frame structures in Hamburg.
The complete rehabilitation and conversion oft the five-story courtyard Workshop development accentuated the rectilinear nature of the building through the insertion of new volumes that are discrete from the existing structure.

The walls of the sanitary tracts and changing rooms are clad with formwork panels. The robustness of this material obviated the need for tiling. Many of the technical installations were conceived as “free ornamentation”.
Portfolio